Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bakun & SMDS

I'm more than a week late to post this. Attempted several times to start posting, but each time my brain just went blank haha.

During last week's free week, CUTEC Club (I think it stands for Curtin University of Technology Engineering Club. correct me if I'm wrong -.-) organised a trip to these two places. SMDS is located near Bintulu, and Bakun I think it's a lot further. Forgot le haha. In case you don't know, SMDS stands for Shell Middle Distillate Synthesis. The operations are basically about doing stuffs with natural gas. Yah, nothing else but natural gas.

The use of handphone and cameras are quite limited here for safety reason so I can't show you anything from the site. Only managed to get some shots in front of the main building -.-

I personally like this one haha

me and ming


After SMDS, we checked in the hotel. Ok ok de lah haha. While waiting for dinner we took some time strolling around the place near waterfront there


o.o waterfront ?


the view of the hoteli like this pathway


more greensnotice the 'milo' hiding behind the grass? =Pyong, ming and me

me, ming and yong

yong, ming and kangkang



___________________________________________________


Next up was the visit to Bakun the next day. It's going to be 2nd highest(biggest?) dam of its kind, as explained by one the engineers. Before going there I knew that place is big. But when I got there, I was surprised to see how much bigger that place is actually haha.


the landscape of the whole dam (a drawing only)


This dam can be considered as a mega structure for its size I guess. From my inquiries, the dam is 60% done, and will start operating in 2012.

After a briefing from an engineering, we were taken up to the site using 4WD vehicles.


on the way uppplooking upppp
looking down. quite amazingly big i should sayman-made Mr.... one of the civil engineers of the Bakun project
(ugh should have taken off the safety helmet)


After the site visit, we coasted back straight to Miri. It was a rather informative trip. Had some fun as well^^ Maybe 2 days 1 night a bit too short but it's okay la.

Looking forward to more trips in the future.

Thats all for now

Teh

No comments: